Welcome to the ITS Toolkit developed by the 2DECIDE project!
The ITS Toolkit responds to Action Point 6.2 of the European “Action Plan for the Deployment of Intelligent Transport Systems in Europe” (European Commission, 2008), which calls for the development of a decision-support toolkit for investment decisions in ITS applications and services.
It was developed within the 2DECIDE project funded by the European Commission DG MOVE (Mobility and Transport) in the 7th Framework Programme for Research and Development. The 2DECIDE project started in 2009 and ended on 30th November 2011. The Toolkit is now available to the public for free (registration is required), although some work is still on-going to improve and finalise it, in the light of the recent validation exercise by external users.
The Toolkit covers Intelligent Transport Systems for road and public transport applications. The user functions and basic descriptions are available in English, German, French and Italian, although the more detailed data (including descriptions of case studies and evaluations) is in English only. Available case study and evaluation reports for download are in the language of the study concerned (usually the language of the country of implementation, and often English for EU/international studies).
What can I use the ITS Toolkit for?
- To search for Intelligent Transport System applications which are relevant to your specific context (geographical context, area of transport, problem or policy goal)
- To obtain expected values and ranges for benefits of applications (where data is available), based on evaluation reports of real deployments
- To access structured summaries of ITS deployment case studies and evaluations, and to download the original report (where this is publicly available)
- The Toolkit does not give “instant solutions”, nor can it replace a feasibility study. However, it can assist in such studies by providing evidence of relevant deployments and their results, success factors and lessons learned elsewhere.
What is the Toolkit’s scope?
- The Toolkit covers Intelligent Transport Systems for road and public transport applications in Europe (the scope of the EU’s ITS Action Plan). So far, it does not cover systems specific to air, rail or waterborne transport.
How do I get started on the ITS Toolkit?
- To use the Toolkit, you need to register (it’s free!) Just click on Create new account on the bottom left of this page to request a password.
- The "ITS Toolkit" option on the top menu bar is the heart of this website, and enables you to find potential ITS solutions to a given transport or traffic problem or policy goal/objective, or to find out about ITS applications which fall within a given group of ITS services. This uses an intelligent inference engine to tailor suggested solutions to your needs, and allows you to access case study and evaluation summaries and reports relating to each ITS application returned by your query.
- The "Search case study" option on the top menu bar is a simpler facility which allows you to directly search for the available reports (case studies and evaluations) associated with a specific ITS service, transport problem or policy goal. This option does not use the inference engine and does not provide descriptions of the different ITS solutions.
If this is your first visit to the ITS Toolkit website, we suggest you read the downloadable Quick Guide (available here), which gives a short presentation of what the Toolkit can do and how to use it.